IE8: Navigation to the webpage was cancelled
With the advent of IE 8, I started getting calls about a new error when accessing our learning management system.
“Navigation to the webpage was cancelled.”
This error can be caused by many things, but in this case, I believe it has to do with the fact that the LMS has both secure and insecure assets in the frameset. Unfortunately, many times messages will come up asking people whether they want to view both types, and they will click “no” without knowing that the page requires them to function.
Since I can’t ever really know what is going on with a user’s home computer’s security setup, I simply tell them to reset their Internet Explorer to its default settings.
- Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).
- For Windows XP, click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
If you use Windows Vista, click Start. Type the following command in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER:
- Click the Advanced tab in the Internet Options window that comes up.
- Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again to close the dialog.
- When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
- Start Internet Explorer again.
This will not delete your bookmarks.
UPDATE: If this did not work, you may want to try adding the site to your trusted sites and relaxing the settings. See this post for more details [LINK]